Three major pipelines have been built through the Delta area – and a pipe section’ display will be found in front of the Visitors Information Center. Pictured to the right is the sign found at Alyeska’s Pump Station 9. The pipeline begins in Prudhoe Bay and ends in Valdez.
The first pipeline was the three-incher built as part of the famous Canol project during World War II. It delivered refined petroleum products from Whitehorse to the emergency airfields on the Canadian side and to Northway, Tanacross, Big Delta, and Ladd Field, now Fort Wainwright, in Alaska. During the September 1942 – September 1945 period, 7,943 aircraft were delivered to the Russian Air Forces under the Lend-Lease program utilizing these airfields. At war’s end, the line fell into disuse, and most the pipe has been salvaged out in recent years.
The second line is the eight-inch Haines pipeline, which was built in 1954 to transport petroleum products from the port of Haines to military installations in Interior Alaska. Parts of this line are still in place and, though the line and its pumping stations [one of which is located about 12 miles north of Delta on the Richardson Highway] have been inactivated, the line was used as recently as 1980 when some surplus military fuel was moved out of the Tok area.